MLT Admission Requirements
Students are admitted to the Helena-West Helena Campus every year. Application must be made to the MLT program. Students who wish to be considered for admission to the MLT program must meet the following criteria:
- Fulfill all college admission requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit official high school transcript documenting graduation from high school or official Arkansas High School Diploma/GED certificate and official transcripts from all previously attended colleges to the Registrar’s Office and MLT Program Director.
- Document a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average in all courses taken at PCCUA.
- Provide SAT, ACT, or ACCUPLACER scores taken within the last 4 years that meet the minimum skill level in reading, math, and English or complete all required developmental courses prior to making application to the MLT program.
- Submit completed application to the MLT Program on the Helena-West Helena campus. The application must be received by the MLT Program Director on the Helena-West Helena campus by June 1st.
- Students who speak English as a second language must also take the ESL Accuplacer Exam to prove proficiency in English. The following scores are required in each category.
- Listening: A minimum score of 106
- Reading: A minimum score of 116
- WritePlacer ESL: A minimum score of 5
All students who meet minimum admission criteria will be accepted unless the number of qualified applicants exceeds space available. This means MEETING THE MINIMUM CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION OR TAKING COURSES REQUIRED FOR THE MLT DEGREE DOES NOT GUARANTEE ADMISSION TO THE MLT PROGRAM.
When the number of qualified applicants exceeds space available, the selection process will be implemented, and admission will become competitive.
Applicants not selected for admission and/or applicants who elect not to enroll in the fall MLT class must repeat the application process that includes submitting a new application to the MLT program.
- Qualified applicants will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- For applicants with college credit, quality points earned on courses taken at the colleges previously attended, or
- For applicants with high school credits only, quality points earned in high school for all completed science and math courses
- When two or more applicants have an equal number of total points, applicants will be admitted according to the date and time the application was received in the Medical Laboratory Technology office on the Helena-West Helena campus.
- Quality pints for repeated courses will be determined by the most recent grade with 3 quality points subtracted for each repetition.
- Applicants initially not selected for admission will be placed on an alternate list in order of total quality points earned. Spaces that become available before the first day of fall classes will be filled from the alternate list.
Before enrolling in the MLT program, the student must provide the following documents:
- Completed Health Statement
- Proof of immunization compliance
- Current Td
- Current Varicella or positive titer
- Current MMR, if born after 1957
- Initiation of Hepatitis B series
- Proof of TB skin test within the last year
- Proof of RPR screen
- Signed Communicable Disease Statement
- Current US Federal or State issued photo ID (driver’s license, military ID, passport)
- Proof of liability insurance
Proof of Influenza (flu) immunization is required by November 1st of the fall semester.