Receive a Technical Certificate in this rewarding field in a short period of time. Located on the Helena campus, students learn such creative skills as hairstyling, facial treatments, manicures, pedicures, and hair coloring. This technical certificate prepares students to take the State Cosmetology Licensing Exam through the Arkansas Department of Health: Cosmetology Section. A Certificate of Proficiency in Manicuring is also available.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Cosmetology Program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced skin care, haircutting, and manicuring techniques;
- Understand advanced skin care, hair removal, and facial makeup procedures;
- Demonstrate advanced principles of hair care and design;
- Demonstrate knowledge of human anatomy, bacteriology, physiology, cells, chemistry and electricity in relation to cosmetology practices;
- Understand and apply advanced knowledge of the properties of hair and scalp;
- Communicate and interact with diverse groups of people in the salon environment;
- Apply advanced concepts of maintaining a healthy body and mind; and
- Students will understand and apply basic mathematical skills in salon operations.
To enter the Cosmetology program, students must apply for admission to Phillips Community College. To apply for admission, students must:
- Have a high school diploma or GED;
- Provide ACT scores or take the ASSET or NG ACCUPLACER exam for placement in English and math. PCCUA offers this free of charge; and
- Make an appointment with the Cosmetology Department to obtain an application packet.
Nail Technology/ Manicuring Program
Students in the Nail Technology/Manicuring Program will be able to perform the following tasks:
- Understand the nail structure and its disorders.
- Perform advanced and specialty manicures, pedicures, and massages.
- Engage in basic interaction skills with diverse groups of people in the salon environment.
- Display basic concepts of maintaining a healthy body and mind.
- Demonstrate appropriate salon communication skills.
- Salon Owner
Estimated cost to receive a Technical Certificate in Cosmetology based on the 45 credit hour program:
|Out of District||$3,870.00||$415.00||$680.00||$4,965.00|
|Out of State||$6,120.00||$415.00||$680.00||$7,215.00|